When we talk about mobile devices, there are two popular operating systems (OS) that are used to run these devices.
Based on the OS, we can divide the mobile devices into two categories: Android & iOS. There are also other operating systems, but their market share is very small when compared to Android and iOS.
On most mobile devices running on Android or iOS, the encryption feature is already present. Usually, all that’s required is to enable that encryption from inside the mobile device settings to protect (encrypt) the data. Today, we will look at how you can encrypt data on your mobile devices.
If you want iPhone encryption or iPad encryption, then you are in luck. Apple, the company behind these mobile devices, offers built-in encryption features to the customers using both software and hardware.
Some of the hot topics of these past few years are hacking, data leaks, and ransomware. Luckily, one of the easiest ways to protect your data is by encrypting it. Especially in the cases when your iOS device is stolen or lost, the importance of encryption becomes a lot more important. Even if your device is lost or stolen, an encrypted mobile ensures that your data will not be misused.
On iPhone, iPad, and other iOS devices, enabling file encryption is as easy as setting up a passcode on your device.
To ensure that the encryption is activated on your device, follow the steps given below:
- Go to Settings > Face (Touch) ID and Passcode.
- If the passcode is not turned on, then turn it on. You will be passed through the steps required to turn it on.
- Once the passcode is set up, go to the bottom of the page and look for text which says “data protection is on/enabled”.
Using this method, a passcode will be required to access your mobile device. Furthermore, all of your personal data such as app data, messages, attachments, emails, photos and more will be encrypted.
On most Android devices, the option to encrypt your personal data is available. But to access this option, it is important that the screen lock is turned on.
For proper phone encryption, follow the steps given below:
- Before starting, make sure that your battery is full or almost full. If your battery is not full, plug in your device.
- Set a passcode (password) for your device. When selecting a password, make sure that you select something that is secure and easy to remember.
- Go to Settings and locate the security option.
- Inside the security settings, click on the encrypt device option. On some Android phones, you may need to open storage settings and then click on storage encryption. If you still can’t find the option, go to storage and click on “lock screen and security.”
- Simply follow the instructions present on the screen to complete the phone encryption.
It only takes a few minutes to encrypt your mobile device, but its benefits are a lot. With encryption, all of your data is protected from unwanted access. You can think of encryption as a lock on a door that protects whatever is on the other side.